Communication Internships, Internships In Kenya, CARE Job
Position: Communication & Advocacy Intern – REF: COAD-INT/03-02/2020
Loaction: Muchai Drive, Nairobi, Muchai Drive, Kenya
The Women’s Voice and Leadership (WVL) Kenya Program funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC) is being delivered by CARE Canada, CARE Kenya, Uraia Trust, The Centre for Rights Education (CREAW), Community Advocacy and Awareness (CRAWN Trust) and Urgent Action Fund (UAF- Africa). Its goal is to support the capacity and activities of local and national women’s organizations and movements seeking to empower women and girls, advance the protection of women’s and girls’ rights, and achieve gender equality with the
Reporting to the Project Manager, the Communication and Advocacy intern will support overall CARE Kenya Country office especially the WVL Programme and the Four Principal partners in publicity and communications work. The incumbent will give support in media engagement on project related assignments as guided, drafting official correspondence, press releases, media clippings, media advisories and communication reports, documentation and sharing of project related campaigns on relevant platforms, In addition, the incumbent will Support in implementation of WVL program’s communication plan and Drafting communication material for CARE Kenya’s website and social media channels. In liaison with the Program quality, Learning & Accountability Sector Manager and the MEAL coordinator, the incumbent will document lessons learnt best practices, case studies and human interest stories as shared by the Principal partners in their reports or as captured during field visits and Support coordination of meetings with stakeholders and partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Support overall CARE Kenya Country office publicity and communication related to the work with clear guidance Program Quality and accountability team.
• Specifically support the WVL Program publicity and communication related to the work of the Women Voices and leadership program.
• Support in implementation of WVL program’s communication plan.
• Draft communication material for CARE Kenya’s website and social media channels (These will include Human interest stories, project progress updates including impact stories and social media posts).
• Assistance in the organization of press conferences, workshops, high-level visits, and advocacy events.
• Drafting official correspondence, press releases, media clippings, media advisories and communication report.
• Support in media engagement on project related assignments as guided.
• Support CARE Kenya and the Four Principal partners in the WVL Program in the implementation of program-related advocacy campaigns.
• Support CARE Kenya and the Four Principal partners in the WVL Program in planning of program related campaign activities.
• Support CARE Kenya and the Four Principal partners in the WVL Program in documentation and sharing of project related campaigns on relevant platforms and with the appropriate audience.
• Support CARE Kenya in coordination and publicizing project activities during key national days like World Women’s day, March 4 Women among others.
• Support the engagement of vulnerable groups like the special interest groups and minorities in joint advocacy efforts on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
• Support mobilization for annual National convention of women for cross-learning, networking and coalition-building.
• In liaison with the Program quality, Learning & Accountability Sector Manager and the MEAL coordinator document lessons learnt best practices, case studies and human interest stories as shared by the Principal partners in their reports or as captured during field visits.
• Support coordination of meetings with stakeholders, drafting background documentation, official correspondence, minutes of the meeting, and brief notes as well as capturing photos and video record of key project meetings and activities.
• Support periodic production of project documentaries.
• Together with the MEAL coordinator, produce quarterly fact sheets and program brochures.
• Support the MEAL coordinator in designing, producing and sharing IEC materials like banners, posters, flyers etc. for the WVL project.
• Support the implementation of events and high-level visits in collaboration with CARE Kenya, the principal partners and the ultimate recipient Women Rights Organizations.
• Increased understanding of CARE Kenya’s work in the field of gender equality, and women’s empowerment.
• Understanding of partnerships and feminist approach to programming.
• Design and develop communication and advocacy material.
• Knowledge management through documentation and sharing of project information.
• Stakeholders’ engagement and donor reporting.
• Enhanced professional skills such as time management, problem solving, team building.
• The intern must be a holder of a degree from any of the following fields; Communications, International studies, International relations, Journalism, Political science, or other related courses from a Kenyan University.
• Continuing students pursuing master’s degrees in the same field will have an added advantage.
• Respect for Diversity
• Team player
• Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues and feminism.
• Inter-personal skills
• Effective Communication
• Inclusive Collaboration
• Stakeholder Engagement
• Analytical skills
• Excellent computer and research skills: Microsoft Office (Word Processing, Excel, PowerPoint) Microsoft project and info graphic creation distinct advantage;
• Good writing skills in both English and Swahili;
• Proficient in using new technologies, web-based platforms and social media networks.
• Proficiency in documentation and information dissemination.